Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
June, 2019 - Mount Denali, Alaska

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Birthday Party

Yesterday we attended the 50th birthday party of our friend, Mary. We’ve known Mary and Gordie for about ten years. They are members of the camping club we belong to. We saw some other friends we haven’t seen in a while. It was great catching up with everyone.

Two years ago Mary and Gordie bought a house in Grafton. We hadn’t seen it yet. What a beautiful home and lot they have. We’re very happy for them. They’ve also had a few grandchildren born in the last few years. Mary comes from a large family so there were many people there including lots of children.

It was fun watching everyone have a good time. There was a piñata for the kids. This thing was virtually indestructible. The kids really worked hard for their goodies :)

2012-07-14 19.34.02Apparently, there is some kind of tradition between Mary and her sisters where they dress each other up in old clothes for their birthdays. Here’s Mary in the get up. Notice the bra on the outside. By this time she had had a few cocktails and was enjoying the festivities immensely!

 

 

We didn’t do too much last week. On Thursday we had our annual meeting with our financial advisor. He’s doing a good job with our investments considering the crazy economy. He helped me fill out the paperwork for my pension. I’m very happy to report that starting next month I will begin collecting my pension! Yippee!!

I didn’t realize all those years I worked as a public employee in schools what a great benefit my pension would be. When I turn 55 next month, I can begin collecting. There is an accelerated option where I can collect the estimated amount of my social security at age 62 from my pension beginning at age 55. That means I will be getting about $1,100 per month for the 7 years before I reach 62. At that time I can begin collecting my social security, and my pension will drop to about $300 per month.

Also, if I die before Kevin, he will continue to receive 75% of my pension. I am so very grateful for this benefit. And, I heard some very good news on the radio the other day. They were talking about state pension funds across the country, and how some of them are really in trouble. Wisconsin is number one in the health of its state pension fund. So, no need to worry that my money will not be there for me.

A few days ago the southern part of Wisconsin was declared to be in a severe drought. Friday and Saturday some thunderstorms rolled through parts of that area. We only had some minor sprinkles. The rain basically evaporated the minute it hit the ground.

We will be under a heat advisory again on Monday and Tuesday with highs near 100* and high humidity. I have always been a sun lover, but I am ready for some relief!

Don’t wish upon a star – Reach for one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!