Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
June, 2019 - Mount Denali, Alaska

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Are You Bored Yet?

Today we are 3 months into our adventure.  So far, so good!

One question people ask us is if we are bored.  The easy answer is “No”.  We have found things to do that we enjoy, and we have definitely slowed our pace and learned to relax :)

Each day we walk for about an hour.  We also like to ride bikes; however, there are a lot of hills and busy roads around here so we haven’t done much bike riding.  We also both enjoy reading, playing computer games, watching movies, and playing our Nintendo Wii. 

Having a workamping position also gives us something to do.  It’s not a lot of work, but we have some responsibilities, and it gives us some structure.  I have to admit, I’m itching to get on the road and start the traveling adventure.  Six more weeks until we head out :)

Evelyn's Craft Fair Items I’ve always enjoyed crafting.  My mom and I used to sell at craft fairs.  I made wooden crafts.  Here’s an example of some of the items I made.

 

Obviously, I couldn’t bring a band or scroll saw with me or store large craft items.  Also, I think craft fairs have kind of run their course.  People were looking for handcrafted items to be sold at rummage sale prices.  Many craft fairs were allowing sellers to sell products made in China. 

I did bring painting supplies and my sewing machine HPIM0300with me.  I  enjoy crocheting, quilting and painting.  I took some painting classes and have painted on glass, candles, plates, wood, etc.  Many times I make gifts.  I feel it really puts a personal touch onto gift giving.  I painted these for a wedding shower a few years ago.

Last week I quilted some eyeglass cases.  The pattern is called “Snap Happy”.  Pieces of metal tape measure are sewn into the top to snap the cases closed.  I’ve also made some other size bags using this pattern for cell phones or iPods.  It’s fun!  Guess what some of you are getting for Christmas this year :)

Snap Happy Eyeglass Cases

Snap Happy Purse

 

 

 

 

 

I very much want to find some work I can do “at home”; some type of virtual office work.  I was a secretary for many years, and have skills that would make working online perfect.  I know such jobs exist, but haven’t been able to find something for me.  I have some leads I am pursuing.  If anyone has any ideas or information, I’d love to hear about it. 

We planned very carefully to live this life.  Since we are not old enough to collect any of our retirement funds, we want to be careful and not spend too much until those funds kick in.  I know we can make ends meet if we are careful, but I’d feel a lot better if I could be earning some cash.  We’ll also continue to seek out workamping positions in different parts of the country.  There are just so many possibilities out there.

Don’t wish upon a star – Reach for one!

1 comment:

  1. Our campground hosting is going well too. You look so well adapted to what you are doing. I love the eyeglass cases. Where do you go to camp host next? Drop by Levonne's Pretty Pics and A Camp Host Housewife's Meanderings when you have a few minutes. I'd love to hear what you think of my newer work.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!