Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
June, 2019 - Mount Denali, Alaska

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Estate Sale Recap and Hummingbirds

I got the final sales summary from our estate sale company, Legacies, Ltd. My total was just under $1000. I sure was hoping for more. I was also surprised to learn that I was charged $266 for moving my items to her consignment shop. I don't recall that being mentioned. I signed a contract, but never received a copy that was signed by them so I can't check to see if it was in the contract. I have sent them an email with several questions regarding the final total.

I still can't say if I would do it the same again. As I mentioned in a previous post, there were pros and cons with using an estate sale company. My recommendation to anyone else out there preparing to fulltime is to get rid of as much as you can as soon as you can!

Yesterday Kevin and I went to the house for the last time. The Veterans Association came and picked up the furniture we had left to donate. It almost filled their entire box truck. Then we loaded up the back of the pick-up with the mattresses and some miscellaneous garbage we had left and took it to the dump. The house is now empty!

Kevin mowed the lawn for the last time. It was a beautiful day and he got some sun :) While he was doing that, I ran some errands. At the end of the day, I sat on the front stoop and reflected on the great years we had at that house. I can't say that I felt sad. We spent 26 years there raising our boys. The memories are wonderful, but we were so ready for the next chapter of our lives. All I saw now was the work to be done at the house. It was definitely time to let it go :)

We left the house and went to pre-sign our closing papers. The buyers sign tomorrow at 9 a.m. and the check will be wired to our account. If all goes well, we'll have the money in our account before the end of the day tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for us! We are so very close :)

After that we took our son, Eric, out for dinner. He really helped us a lot at the end with moving furniture around and letting us use his address to forward our mail. He's a great guy if I do say so myself :)

I sure was exhausted by the time I got back home to the RV.

On Tuesday we attached a hummingbird feeder to the back window. Today I have seen a hummingbird twice hovering around the feeder. So far, it has not landed. Maybe it's still a little shy :)

Here's a picture of our home. The building behind us is the office where campers check in. I put a hanging plant on a shepherd's hook in front of the little tree. We have our solar lights out and our garden flags. It feels like home :)

Next time I'll post about our duties here at the campground, and how I got bit in the behind by a dog last weekend. Bet you can't wait to hear about that!

3 comments:

  1. We are in our fifth home. Not including a couple of apartments in the early years. I have always had both excitement about the new place and sadness about leaving a secure and comfortable place I had called home.

    Keep us u on your experiences and feelings in these first months. It is good for you to write and good for us to read the experiences of others.

    We are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The estate sale might not have gone as well as you had hoped, but at least it's DONE and you are starting on your new life. I am envious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear the story about the dog bite. Guess now you wish you had "hind sight." :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!